Thursday, August 20, 2009

Cruisin' to Cabo San Lucas!

This summer we decided (kinda on a whim) to go on a cruise to Cabo San Lucas. I've wanted to go to that little Mexican Port-of-Call for years having seen the beautiful photos of the bright blue water with enormous rocks jutting up from beneath. I actually stumbled across this 5 night cruise that gave us 2 days in Cabo - so I booked it! We had never been on the Carnival Elation before - but we were all game!
Going into the cruise I told the boys this wasn't going to be like our past 2 Disney Cruises - so try as best not to compare. As pretty as the boat was...it just wasn't the Disney Cruise. It was nice, it had lots of things to do & great food - but we couldn't help but...compare! After our obligatory "safety drill" the boat set sail and we were "bon voyage"!
Our first day was at sea - the weather was glorious and the ocean just spectacular! We laid in the sun toward the back of the ship and really didn't move all day. When we got a little hungry we'd wander into one of the many restaurants to get a snack. Then back to our lounge chair to relax with a good book in the sun! I was in heaven!
After a full day at sea - it was the captain's formal dinner. We aren't really into the formal affair so we chose to go "semi-formal" which was perfectly acceptable. I think we clean up pretty well!
On Monday we arrived in Cabo San Lucas! It was HOT-HOT-HOT and we were ready for some fun in the sun! I was a little surprised to not see more greenery - for some reason I had in my mind that this area was going to be tropical. In reality this area is very desert like... nothing more than a bunch of rocks and dirt with hundreds of luxury resorts built on top. But the water & rock formations more than made up for it! I got a little camera crazy over all the beauty and took 1200 photos in 5 days! (Really!) It's been horrible trying to narrow it down to a few of my favorites!!!
First on the agenda - to figure out how to get over to the main beach and find a wave runner to rent!
We finally made our way to the beach via tender and water taxi and hopped on a wave rider...
Then it was time for some Para sailing. We were all a little nervous about being up so high in the air strapped to a parachute over the water.
Jordan went first and came back grinning ear to ear!
Josh also had a blast soaring over the water! They both exclaimed "it's not scary at all!!!"
So then it was my turn - and in typical fashion I had to take my little camera up with me so I could take photos as I was soaring over Cabo! I'm so glad I did - as it was gorgeous up there! It was the closest thing to flying that I will ever be. And for the record...it's totally scary!
Lastly, it was Russ' turn and I managed to get this shot of Russ soaring over our ship...
That evening before dinner we came across this crazy beautiful sunset...
Dinners were always an affair to look forward too. It was nice that casual attire was acceptable so we were always comfortable. We ate steak, lobster, pasta, shrimp, chicken, you name it - we probably ate it - and then some! Each night for dessert one of us (if not all of us) ordered the incredibly delectable melting cake - hot, gooey, half baked chocolate goodness!!! I think I ordered it ever night. I'm still carrying it with me around the middle! I can't believe I didn't get a photo of my favorite dessert!!!
Our 2nd day in Cabo we went on a 4 hour catamaran ride and sailed to the Chilean Bay to snorkel. The ride over there was so relaxing and fun!

The water down in this area is either crystal clear, emerald green, teal blue or deep blue depending on the depth of the water! It's so gorgeous!
The snorkeling was fun until I got scarred away by a jellyfish that floated beneath me. We were told the jellies down there have a ferocious sting - so after my encounter with a jelly - I quickly got out of the water. After about an hour or so of snorkeling we sailed up to "El Arco Cabo San Lucas" - the famous arch and rock formations that make that little town famous.
And rightly so - this area is stunning!
Around these coves the water is so aqua colored - it almost looks fake!

Our catamaran captain let us get wet - so the boys showed off their flipping skills off the boat!
Overall - it was a great cruise! We had wonderful family bonding time, lots of rest & relaxation, fun water activities and ate way too much food! All for the makings of a great vacation!!!

So long Cabo - you're a beauty!!

If you'd like to see more (not all 1200 - but more of the best) click here!

No comments:

Post a Comment