The other day I met a girlfriend down in Oceanside for lunch.
After lunch we decided to take a walk on the pier since it was such a glorious winter day at the ocean.
As we were chatting and strolling we were intrigued by this enormous pelican perched on the railing of the pier.
He was so beautiful that people (like us) stopped to admire him.
Since I had my new camera with me I started clicking away at this striking bird and I told my friend we needed to have our picture taken with him (or her?).
I handed my camera off to a passerby who looked trustworthy to not run off with my new camera and we both posed next to this bird (who was also posing by the way).
This statuesque-looking pelican attracted lots of people passing by - and as my friend and I were trying to get our shot those people kept telling us to get closer to the bird.
(Perhaps that should have clued me into what was going to happen next?)
They exclaimed "the bird won't bite" (again - possibly another clue?)
But as soon as those words were uttered - the next thing I saw out of my peripheral vision was this enormous beak coming towards me as he bit my arm!!
Yep, the seemingly innocent looking pelican I was admiring
BIT ME!!!!
Maybe I'm the dumb bird as I had no idea pelicans were aggressive and territorial??? Who knew!!
No - it didn't hurt - but it sure startled me!!!
Unfortunately the gal who had my camera didn't take any pictures while the bird attacked me (okay bit me) - that would have been hilarious just to see my horrified expression!

Turns out that pelicans really like the pier, as there were pelicans everywhere acting like they owned it - walking, perching, following people, swooping inches from our heads, flying away...

Before we left I was determined to get one last shot of me with the pelican that attacked me (okay bit me - I'm still a little traumatized) - and as you can see below - I kept my distance
Before we left I was determined to get one last shot of me with the pelican that attacked me (okay bit me - I'm still a little traumatized) - and as you can see below - I kept my distance
this time!
So what's the moral of the story? Beware of the Pelicans!
They aren't as nice as they look!
Hasta La Vista Mr. Pelican!

No comments:
Post a Comment