Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Happy Birthday to Me!!!

Friday the 13th (yes - I know!) I turned another year older and to celebrate another year on earth - Russ & I went away to Santa Barbara for the weekend.  Having gone to school up there - I have lots of fond memories of the little town by the sea. 

My birthday celebration started off with not just any "birthday cake" - but only the best from my boys - Hostess Cherry Pies with candles to add just the right touch! Be still my heart!
I got the weekend bag I needed for our trip...
...and we were off to Santa Barbara!!
We always stay here at the Inn on Summer Hill...
...where every room is impeccably decorated with a different theme and each room has a beautiful ocean view. We've even stayed in this room twice!  
So I guess you could say it's "our room"? 

When we are in Santa Barbara we love to shop until we drop, eat until we pop (uh!) and drive the beautiful, green rolling hills of Montecito (altho' this time they were rather brownish-black from the recent fire).  We ate dinner at Holdren's (the greatest place for steak) and the Fish House (which had fabulous blackened Halibut!).  

We went for a stroll along the ocean...
And Russ even declared his undying love for me in the sand...
...until the water came and washed it away!
The next day our dear friends even drove up all the way to Santa Barbara just to take me out to lunch!  (Okay - that's not totally true - they were heading up to a wedding in Paso Robles - so they stopped by and took us to lunch at Cava!)
A trip to Santa Barbara wouldn't be complete without visiting my alma mater - Westmont!
Sadly, this visit showed the destruction done by the recent fire that started just above the school that ravaged the hills, canyons and countless homes (i.e. mansions!).  This photo is the canyon just west of the college campus - totally charred!  But thankfully God's hand of protection was on Westmont as the damage wasn't as bad as it (clearly) could have been!
As the weekend came to an end - we went home to my parents house to celebrate yet again - this time with with Beef Fondue and (if things could get any better)...Chocolate Fondue!
The boys had a blast with their Grandparents - but poor Chelsea went to Doggie Daycare for the weekend and couldn't be happier that her family was home!!!
The boys decorated special cookies for Dad & I to celebrate the 2 March birthday babies!
It was a great weekend!  I would like to go back...tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment