Our family never ventured down to the track field much - it's never really been on our radar. We've only just admired the track from afar while sitting in the stadium watching football. You see...we're a football family!!
So when Russ threw out the idea to Josh after football season ended about joining the track team - both Josh and I looked at him with a touch of bewilderment in our eyes.
Have you seen the size of Josh? The child gets bigger by the day. He's made to mow you over...tackle you to the ground...take you off at your knees. Just don't make him run - unless it's for a 3 second sprint...to tackle his opponent to the ground!
After we recovered from the shock of the idea - and Russ clarified that there is the "field" part to track - and that Josh might enjoy Shot-put and Discus - not to mention the upper body strength it would give him - we all thought and pondered the possibilities.
Realizing the track idea worked so great for my afternoon carpooling situation - I didn't let Josh ponder long before I kicked him out of the car and told him to "run hard and throw far - Mrs. Bowker will be picking you all up at 5:00pm - Bye!!"
As it turned out - Josh really loves track!! Well...let me clarify - he loves the "field" part - and still isn't so fond of the "track" part. But thankfully they don't make him run in the meets!!
Last Saturday he was in his very first track meet ever down in San Clemente - the Triton Invitational. I love my new camera that takes 3.5 shots per second - so I had a blast taking 900 photos virtually capturing his every move! Here's just a sampling of what I got...
His (first-ever) attempt at the Discus...
I have 645 more photos that look almost identical to these. So if you'd like to see them let me know and I will e-mail them to you!
After that went well we ventured over to the Shot-put area - which Josh happens to enjoy even more...
The ball alone is so heavy that when I tried to pick it up off the ground I immediately dropped it and was shocked at the weight!
I guess it's something like 12 pounds!!!
I also have about 367 photos just like these - but I think at the end of the season I am going to make a blog post entitled "the many throwing faces of Josh". I think he'll like that!
I'm glad Josh gave Track & Field a go...maybe he should try Volleyball next! Ha! Um...No.

Love the shots with the new camera!
ReplyDeleteLove josh's "throwing face"... can't wait to see more of your 900 pix! (Well, maybe not all 900, but a FEW more :o)
xo