Friday, April 10, 2009

Spring Skiing in Mammoth Mountain!

Skiing in Mammoth over spring break? You know you're taking the chance for some slushy snow - or no snow for that matter! But we decided to take our chances & at the very least get some R&R in a beautiful area - snow or no snow! We went with some long time friends who we don't get to see very often - but when we do - we take off just were we left the time before. It's nice to have those kinds of friends...

What we didn't know until we arrived is that the snow conditions were awesome for April and the weather was simply spectacular!! Although it's been since high school since I've skied that mountain - I have never seen it so clear at the top. Typically it's foggy, snowy and very windy! But all 3 days we skiied - this is what it looked like from the top!
These pictures really don't do it justice.
It was so nice for all 9 of us to ski together. When we were done with the kids - we'd ditch them and when they wanted to go jump or explore - they would all ski off together leaving us adults to ourselves!!!
So besides the great snow and glorious weather - there was hardly a skier on the mountain!
I haven't skied that fast & furious in 20 years!
I'm actually lucky I didn't kill myself - or worse!
The "dudes" hanging out on the chair!
I know it's spring - but this was really a winter wonderland!
At lunchtime we stopped for a picnic at the slopes. Our car (& friends RV) was just at the base of the slopes - so it made lunch really easy & relaxing before we hit the slopes hard again!
See - not a soul on the slopes! Bliss!
Josh & Jordan on the gondola to the top...
One of our first runs was Cornice - I didn't tell Jordan it was a black diamond - but he quickly figure it out. After one run down he was ready to do it over and over again!
The old geezers still got it! I think the last time the 4 of us skied together was 20 years ago!
My & my man!

I think that's Scotties? I told our friends I will go down just about anything so long as it didn't have moguls. As I was going down this run I started to regret that comment! That was steep!
Our last day on the mountain - just before the storm started moving in.
The minarets (the peaks) are so beautful!
One last family shot at the top...the wind was starting to howl!
The Twilight Zone - the boys favorite run! Not made for adults to be sure!
Bye-bye Mammoth - we had a blast!!!

Click here if you'd like to see more Mammoth Photos

1 comment:

  1. Fun.
    Happy for you guys!
    (Jealous for me :)
    The weather looked AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete